Monday, September 21, 2009

St. Louis is failing its neglected animals

This weekend was really bitersweet for John and I. While we had a nice relaxing (wedding free) weekend, we would have traded that for a million weddings instead of the sunday we had. Driving out of our neighborhood to the market sunday morning, we saw a woman and her two small dogs being accosted by three large dogs (pitbull, doberman, and a shepard mix). While these dogs were not being violent, they werent neutered, and were gaining aggression very quickly. We could tell she needed help and quickly pulled over to get the dogs off her. She was so shaken, on the verge of tears, and these dogs would not relent. Finally, I called the dogs to me as I sat on the ground, and they came to me. She said they came from up the street. These dogs were emaciated, and obviously, sick and filled with worms. But, they were very loving animals. John hearded them up the street, where what we found was alarming. The house the neighbors said they live in, was wide open. I walked to the back door to find dog food scattered out, and a hose left running. I slowly walk into the house while john is desperatly calling the police. I walk in to find animal feces on the walls, urine smell that is beyond disgusting. The beds had sheets torn off, with remnants of drugs on the table, a computer with money on the bed, upstairs, I found a baby swing with a crib, and more of the same. I wanted to be sick. This was so close to our house, we had no idea this sort of thing could happen so close to our happy world. I quickly ran home to get the dogs food, and came back to them scarfing it down. One of them was so engulfed with worms he couldnt keep the food down. The neighbors said the landlord of the house was basically a deadbeat, and didnt care what happened. With John getting no where with ASPCA, Ballwin Police, or any animal shelters, he was becoming infuriated. Finally, he called 911 threatening to fight someone. He gave them his address and hung up. After about 3 minutes, the police arrived, and of course, had to question JOhn's actions. They said there had been many complaints, and once the dog's owners returned they would be issued with summon's for animal abuse. That was it. This wasnt enough for me. So I said, while I had trespassed, I said I saw a baby crib and fecal matter all around. This immediatly did the trick. They now officially have to investigate with Child Welfare.

Well, after an hour, the police got Animal Control to take the dogs. I've never seen john so upset. HE was sick all night, and didnt sleep a minute. THis really struck home with us. These are people's best friends, and they are being treated like shit. People can really disgust me.

However, I know there is something we can do. Obviously, give money, but also, volunteer. This rang too close to home. If you care to help, please donate here http://www.strayrescue.org/node/68

http://www.aspca.org/donate/

I know John and I will be doing much more to help the animals that bring so much love into our lives!

1 comment:

Stephani said...

Ok I am just catching up on all of this...I am behind on all my email/blog stuff because our flight was delayed a day back from Seattle...this is so sad I want to cry. It makes me so sad for the dogs and for the BABY that lives in that home. Thank god you brought this up and that police will actually look into this. Disgusting.